I’m so excited, folks! The Skillshare courses that I developed for new knitters are now live! I worked dang hard on these, and even though I’m my own worst critic I’m proud to say that I completely love all of these patterns. I hope you do to! So, let’s take a tour of these Skillshare knitting courses, shall we?
So what are these courses and how can you get your hands on them?
Theses are a series of four online courses for the e-learning site Skillshare. Each course walks you through a specific pattern, starting with the super beginner-friendly Garter Stitch Scarf and moving on to a color blocked scarf, a slouchy hat, and ending with two chic headbands. Each course comes with a PDF pattern and tutorial videos. Let’s take a look these courses, shall we?
Knitting 1: Garter Stitch Scarf
This one’s for the noobs. If you can’t tell the difference between a knitting needle and an armadillo then check out the Knitting 1 course!
In this 40-minute course I briefly cover the mysterious history of knitting, walk you through the four techniques that will transform you from noob to knitter and I’ll teach you how to knit the Garter Stitch Scarf with its cool, swingy fringe. Super fun!
Knitting 2: The Triangle Scarf
Once you’ve got the basics down, you’re ready to move beyond a rectangle scarf.
Knitting 3: The Slouchy Hat
Class 3 is all about knitting in the round! You’ll learn how to knit with circular needles and double pointed needles (both are such useful skills to master!) to turn your knitting into a tube. Then you’ll learn how to decrease that tube so that it tapers in at the top until you’re left with what looks like a hat! Finally, you’ll learn how to make a sassy little pom pom that’ll hang out at the top of your hat.
This is easily one of my favourite projects. In fact, it’s so nice I made it twice! In grey and yellow.
Once you’re comfortable knitting and purling and wrangling double pointed needles like it ain’t no thang, you’re ready for a challenge! Enter the Headband Duo. These two headbands are all chic simplicity. For 80% of the project, it’s easy ribbing. The other 20% involves some slightly advanced techniques in the form of the provisional cast on and kitchener stitch. And – oh yeah – working with some stitch holders! But I’ll hold your hand along the way, so don’t fret!
These headbands are knit with KPC Yarn‘s Novomerino in aran weight. For a limited time you’ll get 10% off your KPC order with a special coupon code that you’ll find in Skillshare. Woo!
So there’s the four classes in a nutshell! Each course progressively builds on your skills so that by the end you’ll be a knitting ninja who can:
- knit, purl, cast on and cast off (the four building blocks of knitting!)
- increase your work to make a triangle scarf
- change colors for cool color blocking effects
- knit in the round to make a hat
- knit with double pointed needles to decrease your hat
- make a pom pom for your hat
- cast on provisionally for “live” stitches
- seam with the kitchener stitch
- and a lot more!
To get access to these courses, sign up for a subscription to Skillshare. In addition to my four knitting courses, you’ll get access to a huge library of awesome courses, like Beyond the Logo: Crafting a Brand Identity and Jessica Hische’s hand lettering class (both of which I’ve taken and loved!)
So, how much does it cost?
Get this: your first week is free! After your first week, you’ll pay $9.99 a month to access hundreds of courses on design, marketing, business and more, with new ones added weekly. If you’re not into the courses (sniff), you can cancel before your week ends and you won’t be charged at all. So, you could conceivably take all four courses for free. But of course, I hope you stick around!
Let me know if you take the courses. And if you need help, ask questions right in Skillshare or reach me here. I can’t wait to see your projects! Happy knitting!